Re: OpenGL resolutions

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Katie Lucas wrote:

> > > Or, you could play it safe and use XF86VidModeSwitchToMode() (see man page)
> >
> > Isn't that an XF86 specific call?
> >
> > How about using SDL instead - or does it require XF86 as well?
>
> Linking in the whole of SDL to use one function call is a Bit
> Excessive. And I was under the impression SDL required X11 running on
> Linux...

Other X servers than XFree86 actually exists for Linux. Some of them even
have much better 3d hardware support.

But, of course, its probably a very tiny fraction of your potential users
that do not use XFree86. I had to change because of Quake3, that actually
required XFree86. Before that I was running MetroX - which in many ways
was a better X server than XFree86.

Not dissing XFree86 - just pointing out that there are choice.

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
You know you're a Linux geek when...

    When you hear the words 'Fresh meat' you think of software.

                                                     - segfault