Re: artists

Am Freitag, 29. August 2003 19:08 schrieben Sie:
> Gregor Mückl wrote:
> > The alternative is to help people out with writing an alternative to
> > blender. I've assembled a team who could do it. We're preparing to start
> > coding now and might have a first usable version within a year. This tool
> > is desigend to scale up to where maya and 3dsmax are now. But the road
> > there is still very long. As I said: Any help is appreciated. Visit
> > #moonlight3d on
> > irc.freenode.net if you are interested.
>
> Hey, I remember moonlight3d -- many many years ago.  It was
> promising, and then it stalled.  Is this a continuation of the
> old Moonlight3d?

It was. But we had to discover that the original Moonlight3D code is a totally
unmaintainable chaos and therefore we decided to abandon it and restart from
scratch. This was not decided lightly, but a year of bad experience and
drawbacks with the original code was enough to convince anyone involved.

> You might want to begin by analyzing why the development of modellers
> stalls after getting to a certain point (it happens a LOT).

I noticed that too, but I never had the idea to analyze it. It seems to me
that many projects stall when it comes to actually implementing tools and
operations. Maybe the authors lack mathematical background? Maybe it becomes
too tedious and repetitive?

If these are the real reasons then we will probably have similarly challenging
phases during the forseeable development process. But we *are* a team of
stubborn maniacs (well, in a way at least), so we could be lucky and do it.

> Hope it goes well.

Thanks. I feel that we need any luck we can get.

Regards,
Gregor