Re: artists

Gregor Mückl <GregorMueckl@gmx.de> writes:

> Am Freitag, 29. August 2003 19:08 schrieben Sie:
> > Gregor Mückl wrote:
> > > The alternative is to help people out with writing an alternative to
> > > blender. I've assembled a team who could do it. We're preparing to start
> > > coding now and might have a first usable version within a year. This tool
> > > is desigend to scale up to where maya and 3dsmax are now. But the road
> > > there is still very long. As I said: Any help is appreciated. Visit
> > > #moonlight3d on
> > > irc.freenode.net if you are interested.
> >
> > Hey, I remember moonlight3d -- many many years ago.  It was
> > promising, and then it stalled.  Is this a continuation of the
> > old Moonlight3d?
> >

> It was. But we had to discover that the original Moonlight3D code is a totally
> unmaintainable chaos and therefore we decided to abandon it and restart from
> scratch. This was not decided lightly, but a year of bad experience and
> drawbacks with the original code was enough to convince anyone involved.
>
> > You might want to begin by analyzing why the development of modellers
> > stalls after getting to a certain point (it happens a LOT).
> >

> I noticed that too, but I never had the idea to analyze it. It seems to me
> that many projects stall when it comes to actually implementing tools and
> operations. Maybe the authors lack mathematical background? Maybe it becomes
> too tedious and repetitive?
I don't have that much experience in the field, but the tedious part is
where my own project usually ends. The solution for that has (at least
for the last two projects) been to quickly get to a useable stat, and
then start using the application. The things that are missing gets so
annoying that I end up fixing them. Now, that was for ordinary
applications. I have no idea on how to use that on games.

--
Yours
Peter Poulsen