Re: what about TSR and GPL

> > Point-systems come with different problems, such as highly increased
> > versatility of mages. This can hamper game enjoyment (at least for the
> > others in the group) by making magic-using characters too powerful.

That's true, the memorization system although it's a little weird
actually works pretty well I think, but there must be something better
around. I usually make spells very rare unless the player researches
them
himself (a lot of work) and I once had this campaign where the discovery
of gunpowder interfered with magic, it destroyed the ether ;)...
so everywhere it was used magic would first become completely chaotic
and
then become impossible... a huge campaign removed all gunpowder and all
memory of it from the world however... but eh, the thought was nice,
all the teddybears falling from the sky were nice.

> I didn't say making a balanced point system was easy but I think it lends
> itself to computer games better.  (Besides I personally think magic should
> be more chaotic and versatile than the AD&D system.  Technology is created
> through order while magic is chaotic.)

I agree, if linuxgames tries to arrange development tools then why
wouldn't
the rpg programmers amongst us set up our own free general technical
rules
set? It sounds like a reasonable thing to do if a lot of people have
trouble
not being able to use WotC owned rules like TSR.
Besides, it sounds like a very GNU thing to do ;)

If we could use some webspace somewhere we could set up an rpg rules
development page with a forum and stuff...

Willem van Hage

wrvh@xs4all.nl / wrvhage@wins.uva.nl
http://www.wins.uva.nl/~wrvhage
http://www.xs4all.nl/~wrvh