RE: Implicit linking of local .so

On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Davis, Daniel wrote:

>You could always throw it in you .profile or .bash

Which would then mean that every new user of the game must do the same, or
some kind of install-script has to do it.

I think scripts that start games are by no means 'evil'. /bin/sh is
available on all Linux:es (we're talking Linux games here), and a script
can do a lot of checking, cleanup and so on before starting the main
binary. Much stuff that's easy to do with shell-scripts is horrible to do
with C/C++ (I've yet to see a game in Perl/Python). the scripts can for
instance check that networking is up, old temporary files removed, all
parts of the application are intact etc.

 Jan 'Chakie' Ekholm |    CS at Åbo Akademi University, Turku, Finland
    Linux Inside     | I'm the blue screen of death, no-one hears you scream