Re: GUI systems

>At any rate, it seems like you are well overdue for a complete
>system overhaul.  Maybe you're holding out for a 2.4 kernel eh?!
>Sounds like Linus is hell-bent on getting 2.4 out before Windoze2K
>hits the streets...so it may be worth skipping the 2.2 series
>kernels completely.

Ah... not exactly. I found it much easier to just buy a new (bigger[1]) machine
to stick alongside it: Hence "Affront". And since I'm also on the move a fair
amount, one laptop named "Elench". Once I can get the (sodding) networking on
them running OK, things may be slightly different (They're both redhat 6.0).

The main thing with Excession is that for everything else it works: I'm
unwilling to tinker with things because it's gained 5 years worth of cruft that
means it handles email thru Demon and everything like that. I'm very loath to
start changing stuff, because I can no longer remember what everything does, and
where all the important stuff lives. I can't be spending another 2 months trying
to get my internet connectivity back working again (Demon don't support UNIX
subscribers, so when things go wrong, we're kind of on our own).

I mean you don't want to KNOW what's stuffed into /usr/local/bin on that
machine... it gained all the useful (and in fact all the non-useful) stuff off
of all the other boxes that have been in the house, together with stuff from my
university accounts and... <shiver>.

But yeah. This is why I disagree with this tight linking of stuff. I can't
easily upgrade without risking my whole internet access, but unless I
essentially rip the machine down and re-install from a CD, I don't have much
chance of getting things running.

[1] Got it a year ago. You should have seen the looks at that point when I
      ordered 12Gb of disk in it[2]... they're going "WTF are you going to USE
      THIS FOR?!?!". Damn the 3D card's got nearly as much RAM on it as
      Excession used to have in total up till a year ago.

[2] Of course, in these enlightened days, no-one would blink. I can remember
      when "high capacity storage" meant that you used C60 cassettes instead of
      C15s....