Re: hi this is bill

bill hirsh wrote:

> i see you understand my last letter major problem + game idea well i
> gonna make a better game creation system with that kind of system.
>
> i think i gonna use the megazeux source code and see if i can get it
> ported to linux if not ill use quake 1 engne are something like that or
> if i can get it in linux ill use crystal space if i can ever get mazed
> zip file textrues to work the game idea called Mega Zzt 3D.  mega =
> megazeux | zzt 3d is the name of the game.
>
> in mega zzt 3d you can use the games from it preacessor zzt and megazeux
> and also convert them in to 3d get it zzt 3d is  a eD ansi createion
> system opps typo well what ya think.
>
> Ps : this is will  be a while after i relearn programming before i make
> mega zzt 3d my first game will be a arcade game thoese are easy to make.

Bill:

  Please don't let me discourage you - but if you can't program (you *forgot*?!?)
you don't stand a hope in hell of getting these grandiose schemes off the
ground.  Integrating something into the Quake engine - or using Crystal
Space to build some awesome game is going to need at least a year's worth
of programming experience.

  Expecting to build a team of programmers to work on this idea of yours
is also not going to happen.  Experienced programmers will *never* be
recruited to join someone who can't lead by strong example and communicate
clearly.  I thought I could do those things - and failed - I've been
programming for over twenty years, write good English and wrote a
complete video game and *STILL* nobody joined the team to extend the
game...it's *that* hard to get help.

  You need to:

  1) Stop posting half-baked schemes to this list (trust me - we are NOT
     INTERESTED).  When you do post - please use a more meaningful
     subject line than "hi this is bill" - and take more time to write
     readable English with capitals and punctuation.  You need to be
     a better netizen - that's IMPORTANT.

  2) Get down to some serious programming - start with simple things.
     (Look at stuff like my 'Steves Programming Toys' page:
          http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1/toys
     ...these are *simple* games that even a beginner should be
     able to comprehend.  Write some of your own - they are fun!)

  3) Once your programming skills are to the point where you could
     write stuff like those simple puzzles, try learning Crystal
     Space or OpenGL or some such graphics API - add graphics to
     those games.

  4) Join an existing games programming team - offer to help
     out - this will improve your communication skills and
     if you do well at it you'll start to get a good reputation.

  5) *THEN* (about 2 years from now) start thinking about writing
     your own major arcade quality game.

The great thing you have to offer is enthusiasm - that comes through
clearly - but enthusiasm isn't enough.  Channel that energy into
some serious learning (and the best way to learn programming is
to PRACTICE!!!).

Now, I suggest you back off posting here for a while.  Come back
when you have something useful to post.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker