Re: Need your help.

> > Sorry, I don't know that. For my ELF executables it reports Version 1.
>
> AFAIK, COFF is the format used on Alpha:
>
> borr > uname -a
> OSF1 borr.diku.dk V4.0 878 alpha
> borr > file /bin/ls
> /bin/ls:        COFF format alpha dynamically linked, demand paged
> executable or object module stripped - version 3.11-10
>
> The question would seem unrelated to Linux.

COFF means Common Object File Format. It's a way of encapsulating
binaries up so they have some useful headers on the front. Many cross
compilers generate them and they're used a lot in the embedded world.

The standard header holds things like target architecture and
requirements and details entry points.

ISTR they have a file version as a field in the header, which is
probabaly what's being read here. What it means in this context I
don't know. You might want to check out whatever generated the file
and see if it has an idea.