Re: GFX under Linux

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Xarvh wrote:

> If just setting GFX under linux causes all that trouble, how can someone
> hope to have games under Linux!?

It's really not *that* difficult.

I have a couple of OpenGL-based Linux games out there (Using GLUT and PLIB
rather than SDL) and installation is painless - judging by the email I get
at least.

The deal is that GLUT is installed at the same time as OpenGL - so it's
always there.  PLIB is *probably* installed (although I heard that RedHat
stopped shipping it) - but even if it isn't, it's very stable and updates
only rarely and almost always in a backwards-compatible manner - and only
has *ONE* download for all the components.

So, providing you have a working OpenGL, you have at most one library
to download and one "./configure ; make install" for PLIB and another for
the game.

Mail : <sjbaker1@airmail.net>   WorkMail: <sjbaker@link.com>
URLs : http://www.sjbaker.org
       http://toobular.sf.net   http://lodestone.sf.net