Re: Cheating in OS games?

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Jan Ekholm wrote:

> IMHO developers should focus on the game, leaving all these tuning issues
> for later. It's far too easy to focus on totally irrelevant things when
> there is a game to get done. Nobody will care if your game has a nice
> effect or something else if there is no game to begin with.
>
> I'd actually consider it a measurement of success that someone would
> bother to create a cheat for something I had done. That would mean that
> the game is more or less mainstream and actually has an audience,
> something very few OS games actually has.
>
> Comments and/or flames?

OK, I'll bite.

The moment people starts cheating in your fancy game, the game goes dead.

IMHO, you need to at least _consider_ cheating, and understand what
you need to do to prevent, very early on, or your design will have a hard
time fixing the problems. So, if people start cheating, you can change
your program to fix as much as possible.

Thats just my opinion though.

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman