Re: client/serer gaming

> Does anyone have any referrences for cwriting client/server games?  More
> specifically, I'm looking for some examples (preferrably from games that
> really exist, code isn't necessary) of what tasks are handled by the
> client, and what tasks are handled by the server.  Anyone?

For your average 3d game, server handles physics, and clients are merely
wrappers around display and user input. That way, clients can't cheat.
However some method of distributing processing to the clients is desirable
to reduce bandwidth requirements, though it is difficult to achieve in
practice.

(Note: server and client can be separate machines, or separate processes,
or separate threads, or even in the same thread).

For an obvious example: Quake! :)

Michael