RE: I welcome any of you to join me on this Port to Linux...

On 03-Feb-2000 HellcatV HellcatV wrote:
> If any of you are familiar with Origin's excellent series of games as well
> as Homeworld, then this is the project for you...
> I completed a Windows clone of Wing Commander that is available at
> http://wc.questgate.net/vega/

mmm, I remember getting upset when I upgraded my system from a 486 33 to a 66
and wing commander went too fast to be playable in 'turbo' mode :)

> The code got big and messy, so I completely redid it, and have a as-of-yet
> unreleased nearly complete version of it for windows...and then I noticed
> Linux...and development stopped...
> Being very familiar with Windows OpenGL and D3D libraries, I am completely
> unfamiliar with Linux equivalents... GLUT and the like...

opengl is opengl :) if you're using wgl, then you probably need to break out
the wgl parts from the ogl parts and make glx parts that can plug in...

> If you like the game as it is presented on the site, you can imagine what a
> completely improved engine aimed at a homeworldesque OR flightsim game might
> look like <a lot better!>
> I am tired of Microsoft's domination, and would be disappointed if I
> released a Windows only game--yet I don't feel I have the skillz to port it
> to Linux... so if any of you has the time or energy to help me at least get
> started, if not finished, then please respond and help me make a truly
> wonderful game for Linux :-D
> Thank you for your time :-)
> http://wc.questgate.net/vega/

looks pretty good. What's the release license going to be? All I saw was
"freeware", which could mean gpl, pd, proprietary, ... What language is it in?
where's the source? how can I see if I want to commit time if I can't look at
it right now as well as know what's going to happen when it's done?

I'm going to imagine that you want to replace the dx stuff (dinput, dsound) in
the ogl set for the linux port, so the cross platform SDK that gives the
closest fit to dx would be best, reducing the amount of redesign and recode? I
***THINK*** that sdl is about the same level as dx? I'm completely unsure, I've
never used dx, just heard people bitching about how shoddy and poor dx is :) I
think that sdl's opengl support is only in the devel tree, not in the stable,
so it might take some funky stuff to get ogl working in the current sdl? I'm
completely unaware of what I'm talking about, so may be completely wrong :)

If you're ready to scrap everything, then you can pick
any crossplatform sdk and reimplement it there. I think you really want to have
a cross platform library going, so you have one source tree instead of 3+ (I
think the windows ports of the xp libs usually can cope with both ogl and dx)

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.