Re: First release of Blocks: a 3D Tetris LookALike based on Crystal Space

Jeff Read wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 08:29:33AM +0100, Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
> >
> > Just out of curiosity, how many of those 20 tetrices are actually
> > 3D?
>
> And how many are officially licensed and bonded by The Tetris Company, the DVD-CCA of falling-block games? Seriously, folks, we don't want a situation where cutthroat pirates can make illegal Tetris-clone knockoffs do we?
>
> (Visit http://www.tetris.com and click on their legal department link. Yes, they're serious. They've started sending cease-and-desist notices to authors of share- and freeware Tetris clones... even the ones that don't have "tris" in the name.)

What makes a game a Tetris? i.e. Blocks is a 3D version which could be
considered a completely different game. The only similarity is that blocks
fall down. I visited the legal department stuff and it is not obvious to me
when a game is considered a tetris clone and when it is another type
of game. Any ideas?

Greetings,

Jorrit.Tyberghein@uz.kuleuven.ac.be, University Hospitals KU Leuven BELGIUM

- "It looks worse than you can imagine!"
- "I can imagine some pretty bad things!"
- "That's why I said *worse*!"
        -- (Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures)