Re: First release of Blocks: a 3D Tetris LookALike based on Crystal Space

Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:

> Steve Baker wrote:
>
> > Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:
> > >
> > > I just released the first version of Blocks. Blocks is a 3D Tetris LookALike
> > > based on the Crystal Space 3D Engine.
> >
> > Cool - so now there are 20 versions of Tetris for Linux (yes, really - I'm
> > keeping count).
> >
> > Now, all we need are one or perhaps two *interesting* games.
> >

> Well, personally I LIKE playing Tetris but I know the feeling :-)
>
> Just out of curiosity, how many of those 20 tetrices are actually
> 3D?

Hmmm - about 4 or 5 of them I think.  That's from memory though
I'd need to check out the ones I have counted to see for sure.

I don't want to come on too hard on Tetris authors.  The appeal
of writing a Tetris clone as a learning exercise or as a teaching
tool (as I suspect 'blocks' is) is that everyone knows what the
game is all about - so you can get right into the coding.

I just wish that people who actually want to contribute a
useful/interesting piece of software to the Linux community
would stop and use just a LITTLE imagination and write something
new.  Linux needs more great games - but adding yet another
Tetris is just a horrible waste of time and talent.

In general, far too many Linux games are just clones of 10 year
old games from other platforms - that's a shame too.

--
Steve Baker                  http://web2.airmail.net/sjbaker1
sjbaker1@airmail.net (home)  http://www.woodsoup.org/~sbaker