Re: Idle? We could need some help...

Sorry for the rather late reply. I haven't discovered this posting early
enough among the masses of spam email that find their way into my mailbox.

Errol Smith wrote:

> At 04:32 PM 17/02/2002 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>Second, what about good, high-quality video codecs? I have so far found
>>none that is both high-quality and not bound to any patenting/licencing
>>issues that could make us pay (especially MPEG2/MPEG4, which we
>>therefore cannot use at all).
>>

>  I don't believe there are licensing issues with mpeg1/2 as there are
> multiple free codecs available for these, however IANAL..

There are - rather were (until MPEG-LA came up with this silly license)
- free MPEG4 codecs. There are free MP3 codecs (like Lame), too, which
are perfectly legal. But the licenses say that you have to pay a fee per
  encoded file in either format.

>  Also you may want to ask about in news:comp.compression - I'm sure people
> in there would be interested in the codec work you've done so far.

Shurely I will :-). Thanks.

> Regards, Errol

* Gregor Mueckl                 GregorMueckl@gmx.de *
* The ChallengeOS project:                          *
* http://challangeos.sourceforge.net                *
* Math problems?                                    *
* Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].       *