Re: OpenGL vs. SDL for 2D

On Wednesday 27 February 2002 11:27 am, Vesselin Peev wrote:
<snip>

> That's the last piece of the puzzle, and I think I made a decision already!
>
> So why use SDL (without the OpenGL wrapping part) from now on then? It
> would die out relatively quickly if this is the situation.

OpenGL is a 3D API, where as SDL is more of a complete multimedia API,
offering better sound, input and, uh, file loading support than OpenGL. On
Linux, I tend to use both SDL and OpenGL for these very reasons.

Of course, there is GLUT, but I don't like that very much.

SDL also makes OpenGL initializtion so much simpler (against some other APIs,
like Xlib *shudder*).

> Long live OpenGL/Mesa! (Short live Microsoft patent pirates ;-)! )

Grrrr....

===
Mark 'Nurgle' Collins
Lead Author - Linux Game Programming (Premiere Press)
Author - Advanced AI Game Development (WordWare)
Email: me@thisisnurgle.org.uk	Phone: +44 7761 774 152
Email: nurgle@isyourgod.net	Spam: spam@thisisnurgle.org.uk