Re: [linuxgames] Game Developers Conference

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 10:06:31AM +0200, Jan Ekholm wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 06:02:03PM +0000, Alistair Riddoch wrote:
> ><snip>
> >
> >OTOH, it looks like an expo-only pass is nearly $200! <:^( <:^( <:^(
>
> What really is the reason for charging silly amounts of money for an expo?
> I've never understood that. A normal small fee, like a movie ticket, would
> be just fine.

CMP don't seem interested in giving anyone a free ride, or even a cheap
one. The main reason people get expo passes I think is so they can get
into the conference and have the opportunity to meet people and network.
I've heard that in some years they could get into a few sessions when
the staff weren't paying attention too.

> Btw, what would Linux gamers/developers do on  GDC? Isn't it solely for
> Windows/XBox development nowadays?

There is certainly no specific vendor bias at the GDC. Microsoft are
far from being able to push Sony and Nintendo out yet. Much of the
material presented is completely platform neutral techniques, and
don't forget that some major commercial online games use Linux for
their servers.

Al
--
Alistair Riddoch