Re: Which Game SDK to choose?

Em Seg 16 Fev 2004 18:52, Poizon escreveu:
> Furthermore, the
> uncommercial Qt version for Windows is the old 2.3.2, but I want to have Qt
> 3 on my Linux machine.

It depends on how much energy potential users should invest into getting the
stuff running.
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/
I've seen it working quite nicely several months ago, it should run even
better now.

> SDL + wxWindows:
> This is the first approach I have thought of: SDL shall be used for the
> game engine, wxWindows for the map editor, integrating an SDL surface. I
> haven't tested it yet, but there has been a discussion on it at the SDL
> mailing list in January 2003, and people seemed to believe it is possible.
> This solution would be nice, too because wxWindows is able to do Python and
> Perl, too. Addionaly, I would get the Look & Feel of a normal GTK+/Windows
> application. Has anyone ever tried this?

SDL works with basically every toolkit in the universe.
I'm using it myself in combination with Qt.
You'll most likely need to wrap key events/sequences, mouse events etc. but
that's not much work.

> SDL + ParaGUI:
> ParaGUI is a library to create a GUI inside an SDL surface. This would meen
> that the map editor will not look like a normal windowed app but why not?
> Would you like this?

Have a look at the game freelords, they're using it for about anything.
Unfortunately paragui is in maintenance mode as it seems.

> PowerPak:
> I have seen it on resources page on lgdc and it sounds pretty good. Has
> anybody used it?

I haven't seen anything on LGDC for a long time. Is it just me or do the
webpages not work :-)

Josef