Re: XF86 and full-screen graphical console apps

Magnus Norddahl wrote:

> Quoting Pierre Phaneuf (pp@ludusdesign.com):
>
> > Yes, of course, but unlike svgalib, you'd have hundreds of well tested
> > drivers, a lot accelerated and some having full acceleration. You'd have
>            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I'm sorry to say so, but XFree86's acceleration is a bit of a joke. They do
> not even have hardware accelerated XCopyImage blits. All Pixmaps are stored
> in system memory, _NOT_ taking advantage of your up to 12 mb of ram onboard.
> No support for simple things such as color keying (transparency). Using the
> doublebuffering extension does not give any speed improvements, etc etc.
> The only things that's accelerated in XFree86 is lines, cursors and fonts!
> Nothing worth yelling "hurra" when trying to get some speed in games...

(--) SVGA: s3_virge: Using hardware cursor
(--) SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)
(--) SVGA: XAA: Solid filled rectangles
(--) SVGA: XAA: Screen-to-screen copy
(--) SVGA: XAA: 8x8 pattern fill
(--) SVGA: XAA: 8x8 color expand pattern fill
(--) SVGA: XAA: CPU to screen color expansion (bitmap, TE/NonTE
imagetext, TE/NonTE polytext)
(--) SVGA: XAA: Using 8 128x128 areas for pixmap caching
(--) SVGA: XAA: Caching tiles and non-transparent stipples
(--) SVGA: XAA: Horizontal and vertical lines and segments

I agree that XFree86 isn't very impressive on many accounts, I would
just notice that my S3 ViRGE is NOT ACCELERATED AT ALL with SVGALib and
that XFree86 XAA reports solid filled rectangles, screen-to-screen copy,
color expansion, pixmap caching and others...

That seems more than sufficient for me, when you take into account that
SVGALib has no acceleration whatsoever for my ViRGE.

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/