Re: Is random game code relevent to linuxgames?

> My feelings on Linux game development and Linux in general are the same:
> It's all about code.
Well, that's a bit naive, because just writing unstructured
code, doesn't get very far in its own right. Especially when the subject
is games for linux, planning and "marketing" becomes increasing important,
because unless you really have a saying in the linux community, and can
make vital changes to things like the standard for x servers or something
like that, gaming on linux has no chance. The current choices linux-wise
when it comes to displaying your game or playing soundeffects is
incredibly inferior to game-platform alternatives like using windows'
directx or what you can achieve on a console (although this of course is a
poor comparison). This is why it is also very important to use a forum
like linuxgames, to bring into focus the need for changes, like
encouraging graphics card makers to make real-quality x-servers and the
like, if games on linux is ever to be a viable alternative to windows as a
gamers platform.

> All the web pages, books, and SDKs in the world don't matter if people
> don't sit down and
> actually _code_ games.  The point of all this is to get more games and more
agreed. Coding the actual games is of course more important (gaming-wise)
than web pages, books and sdk's. A totally improvised ad-hoc game like the
one that has been posted in various chunks in this mailing list, is not
really relevant to linuxgames however (IMHO).

> quality games for Linux isn't it?  This is why when someone suggested that
> we write a simple game on this list, I thought it was a great idea.  People

Yes, but beginning to write code in an more-than-unstructured manner is
_not_ the right way to make quality games for linux. I can see the point
in making a small game as a demonstration of how to use the various
existing sdk's, but then discussing the features of the game, and what
it's gameplay should be about, becomes a bit off-topic. It's not that I
mind receiving some extra e-mails to delete, but in general this only
serves to scare people away from linuxgames, taking it as a silly group
for game-newbies (excuse me for sounding so critical, but I'm afraid
that's the impression most people will get).

> who were previously not coding could have a fairly painless way to get
> started, and also learn from others who had already tackled similar
> problems.  Is the code posted crap?  Sure, maybe it is.  But who benefits
> from calling it crap and moving on?  State why it is crap and post a better
> solution, then we all can benefit.

I'm sure it's not the solution in itself that is "crap". Although I
haven't looked at the attachments, it's more the notion of coding a game
in a mailing list that seems random and meaningless to me.

> Moving the discussion to private e-mail
> is in my opinion exactly the opposite of what should happen, since the
> whole point is to get more people interested and involved and learning so
> that we can produce excellent games for Linux.

Yes, but discussing a would-be game before it has ever materialized, in a
mailing list that is devoted to game development on a platform in general
seems misguided. When you guys have made _the_ killer linux game, or when
you have at least come a bit further, then you can write to this
mailinglist, asking questions, making suggestions or giving us a URL to
your cool new game. The other solution quickly becomes spam.

Regards
	Martin Starch - ClanSoft