Re: XF86 and full-screen graphical console apps

Pierre Phaneuf <pp@ludusdesign.com> wrote:

> > SVGAlib?  Well, it's not a windowing system.  But
> > even if we're only talking games, that suid-root on
> > the game itself is quite the turn-off.
>
> Well, if we just scavenge the video/input/config parts into a separate
> .so (if anybody do so, be sure to compile a "generic" X server that
link
> against that library! should be straightforward once the library is
> split off), the application will have to be suid-root too, just like
an
> X server has to now.
>
> So regarding the SUIDness, that would be pretty similar.

...Unless it were to use a socket-pair or shm trick
the way X does now.  As long as you don't hit the fb
directly, you could go without the suid.

By the way, I was looking over the xf86 codebase.  As
of 3.3.3, the X concepts were tied pretty close in
with the lower level stuff.  Unless that changes in
4.0, it would be difficult to split the two.