question about GPL

I just realized something - a question regarding the
GPL that I'm not sure about the answer to.  This
question is particularly significant when it comes to
games.

The question is, how does the GPL affect media (sounds,
icons, images) distributed with a program?  Does the
GPL apply to media other than source code?  Are the
graphics/etc. automatically covered by the GPL?  If
not, what license are they distributed under, and do
you need to explicitly specify this license?

Any legal experts out there?