Re: COM (or similar) in games

Jorrit Tyberghein wrote:

> > I ask that, because I was very interested in Mozilla's XPCOM, but it
> > dependent on the NSPR (Netscape Portable Runtime), which I deemed too
> > heavy to bring in a game... I was underway to make my own "XPCOM-Lite"
> > for my gaming endeavors, but that might help me out... :-)
>
> You might also want to take a look at what one of my CS members is doing. He
> has taken the Crystal Space COM code and is now busy converting it to a more
> general and full-featured COM library for Linux.
>
> In time when his COM library finishes it is possible that CS will use his
> code instead.

Very interesting!

> Here is an excerpt of what another one of my CS developers tells me about
> this:
>
> > Note: Stephen Quattlebaum (quatt001@bama.ua.edu) is working on an extended
> > version of my COM library that, for one thing, will support COM operations
> > across processes and threads under Linux. This will greatly expand the
> > functionality of the scripting support. It will probably not be completed
> > for a long time. I don't know if he's looking for help or not, but if you
> > have some COM experience and are willing to help out, you might want to
> > talk to him.
> >
> So contact Stephen if you want to know more about this.

Both what you mention earlier ("a more general and full-featured COM
library for Linux") and what Stephen is developing is the same thing
right? Or is it different? If it is different, where can I get the first
one?

I'll contact Stephen about that one anyway, maybe I will be able to help
finish it, but keep in mind I am not interested in COM/DCOM
compatibility as much as a good usable dynamic component library. I like
XPCOM better than the original COM, for that matter, but the need for
NSPR is preventing me from using it...

Thanks!

--
Pierre Phaneuf