Re: Introduction

Keith Lucas wrote:

> Sound is a bit hairier: it's decoupled from Mesa, so anything goes,
> but I've not found a ton of stuff about it. My systems minion
> is playing with sound code ATM, but he's doing it at the fopen("/dev/dsp")
> level. There are a few APIs about. I bet PLIB's got support in it.

There are *many* sound libraries (or code part of something else) that
use a separate sound server process (like esd, koules, doom, xshipwars,
etc...), a few that use a separate thread (SDL I think, maybe others)
and even fewer that play sound synchronously (without any threading or
forking).

I would think, with approbation of ddt and probably Steve Baker, that
this is the best way to do it (synchronously, look at the quake
sources). ddt made both doom and quake, and he always was sorry that he
made the sound that way in doom, as a *lot* of people copied this, and
it is crappy (fire off a few rockets and listen to the LAG!)...

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/