Re: Is this list still alive?

Christian Reiniger wrote:

> On Thursday 11 January 2001 17:18, Steve Baker wrote:
>
> > > Especially not for Linux?
> >
> > No - I don't think Linux makes games writing any harder.  It's arguable
> > that it doesn't make it any easier either...but I'm not so sure about
> > that.
>
> I'm sure it doesn't make it harder (now that we have XFree4+DRI, ALSA,
> OpenAL, ...) and it can even make it easier (with the free higher-level
> toolkits out there). But that's only for the programming part.
> Linux still doesn't have much in the area of tools for artists, and
> there's nothing both affordable and comparable to the stuff the
> commercial game developers use (3DSMax etc).

There is maya complete (from alias|wavefront) coming.

> > Also, I think we are working too much as individuals - teams of 4 or 5
> > people would work better.
>
> discussion bait: How well does bazaar-style teamwork work for games?
> Games usually need a strong coherent vision among the team, and that's
> difficult to achieve as we all know.
>
> On the other hand - OSS makes it quite easy to use one codebase for
> multiple games (similar to the FPS mods - several of them can be seen as
> different games).
> But I don't see this really happening. There are no libfirstpersion.so,
> libDND_rules.so, libsidescroller.so

libadventure.so,...

And the corresponding map or level editors.

> > > Discussions? Or are we dead and buried?
>
> ... asks the author of "Zombie" :)
>
> > I think that more of us need to join in with existing games development
> > efforts rather than starting new projects.

It would help more, if the people start helping an existing project and
later if they know everything about this project, they start their own.

This helps the old projects and the people.

Bye,
Johns
--
Become famous, earn no money, create graphics for FreeCraft.

http://FreeCraft.Org - A free fantasy real-time strategy game engine
http://fgp.cjb.net   - The FreeCraft Graphics Project