Re: Is this list still alive?

wrote:

> (I actually have to quote most of it)

Sorry!

> Hmmm. Can you be a bit more specific?
> You want that Advogato adds "artist" categories
and/or that a similar
> site (but focused on artists) comes up?

Ok, the original post was a little bit of a rant,
and I picked specifically on two popular sites to
highlight the increasing feeling I've had since
joing the OS scene that it's very difficult for
an Artist to get the same kind of notice for his
work as a coder can.

This is maybe a little of an exageration
(admittedly), but the feeling is rammed home when
you go to free sites (such as
Sourceforge/Advogato) and see a complete bias for
the programmer.  I was in the middle of producing
an article for Advogato ranting about just this
subject, but I won't now as I've already publicly
vented my feelings.

As for functionality: I'd have to sit and think
through it a little more -- It's only for Civil
that I've been part of a group of artists (I'm
used to working on my own afa games dev is
concerned), and we're still getting things
together as far as the 'groupware' side of things
is concerned. I can however see a rising need to
share actions/filters/script-fu snippets between
myself and the team, not to mention all the
guides that I've had to write to ensure
consistency of style etc. (see the website for
the lengths this has already gone to). This
should really see it's way onto the SF group
pages. It would also be nice if I didn't have to
type it all!

I think my initial, ranting point was that it
would feel pretty nice to actually register as an
artist in places like SF/Advogato/etc, and not
have to register my programming skills (picking
on sourceforge here) in order to look like a
competent OS developer.

> And you mentioned Sourceforge.
> How would a SF-for-artists have to look/be like?

It would probably have to look pretty
pretentious! ;-)

Functionality wise I don't feel that artists have
a particularly different requirement, just a need
to get these things presented /for/ artists as
well as coders.

We still require CVS, mailing lists, space for
sharing files etc. Task lists are still useful,
but should provide for the day-to-day things we
do and not just concentrate on bugs and
documentation.  It would be nice to have group
wide repositories of scripts/actions/filters etc
for project members. Past that I think we get
into the 'project specific' requirements.

For 2d games similar problems always arise which
could easily be translated into a little bit of
web functionality to save the repetition of
telling artists as they join a project:

* What colour is transparent?
* Where's the lighting from?
* What is the palette? 24bit? 256? If so can I
have the palette...
* What size are sprite blocks?

The list goes on...

> Hmm, a thought that just came to my mind: What
about some "game art of
> the week" site reviewing levels, models, ... ?

I'd certainly compete for that...

> Hmm, what's Blitz Basic? What are its strengths
and why would you use it over, say, Python?

Well, it's not a 'real' programming language in
the way python is. You could think of it as
Python with SDL embedded. It provides nicely
encapsulated calls for things like blitting,
scrolling, displaying images, getting keyboard
events etc. It's just a language built to provide
an easy environment to write games in. It's
pretty fast aswell... I'd provide a URL, but it
escapes me ATM.

The thing about Blitz is, it encouraged a lot of
people to tinker about with games developement
and it has a nice environment to work in. The IDE
is provided, there's no tracking down libraries
etc. Essentially -- it's a good way to start
out...