Re: The future of C/C++

> Hey people,
>
> 	Yesterday I was talking to one of the directors of the Mathematics
> department at my university about ideas for new research projects that I
> could participate. The first one I suggested was building a 3D engine,
> somthing like CrystalSpace for example, entirely from scratch. I also
> said it would be  made primarily in C++. The man started talking about
> some older projects of the department that already had something to do
> with this, and how he wanted to try some really *new* stuff.
> 	He then went on talking about new projects using primarily Java,
> stating that the language was still very slow, regarding performance,
> but that it would soon change, suggesting that C/C++ were near an "end".
> 	I'd like to know your opinion about this: what do you think? Is Java
> really going to replace C/C++, once it solves it's performance problems?
> Is it stupid to start new projects today using C/C++ rather than other
> new promising languages? What do you think?
>
> M.

Professors generally don't have their thumb on what really happens outside of
academia (ivory towers?).

Java is pretty snappy provided you use the right jvm/compiler and don't do silly
things that OO and gc tend to make easy. (you might try looking into gcj, the
GCC frontend for java to create native binaries. I haven't tried it yet, but it
may be a big step in performance viability for things that really need heavy
performance?)

A long time ago, everyone said that C++ would replace C. They both seem to be
thriving together, each with advantages and disadvantages. Java is almost the
same language, so I don't think it can really replace c or c++, I think it'll
just take a small niche and be overused where it's not the most appropriate,
just like C and C++ :)

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.