Re: Loki...

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 08:36:15AM -0600, Steve Baker wrote:
> Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:
> >
> > On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Steve Baker wrote:
> >
> > [great things]
> >
> > Steve, from my memory, you once wrote something about (I am rambling
> > freely here) about the process of designing TAQFH. You described how
> > Oliver wanted to "script" the game, and you had a hard time explaining him
> > that people wanted to perform actions more freely than that.
>
> Yes - he had a tendancy to design a level and say "the player walks along
> here, jumps there, falls down here..." and so on.  I had to explain to him
> that the player has free will and may choose to do something completely
> different.  So if you *want* that to happen, you have to design a level
> to *make* the player walk down there by putting large walls on either side
> or something.  I also had to explain that if the game made the player do
> everything the way the designer wanted it to be (without giving the player
> room to experiment and explore), then it wouldn't be any fun.

Of course a "movie scripting" game may be perfectly fun to him. Creating a story
and using the game engine as a reduced complexity rendering engine might be
just right as a creative playground for some kids. (With a large enough
library of everyday models, it might be useful for sketching out gameplay too :)

--
Alan Chen
Digikata LLC