Re: Your site!

[sorry this has taken so long to get to you - turns out my work email
server is blocked by ORBS :( - richard.jones@fulcrum.com.au]

[Christian Reiniger]
> Richard Jones wrote:
> >though - and because of them there's been no development until recently :(
>
> The nice thing about those problems is that the difficult part is to
> actually identify them. After that solving them is relatively easy.

   Indeed - I have already come up with some possible paths to breaking the
deadlock with my game. Screenshots are a high priority ;)

> >GUI (there will be at least two, possibly three targets). I was a little
> >disappointed to see that Python isn't mentioned anywhere on the site -
> >especially in the Scripting Languages section where you mention RMS bagging
> >Tcl. RMS quite likes Python - and it's a cinch to integrate into a C or C++
>
> Would you like to write something about Python? A proper entry in the
> "scripting languages" section and eventually also some article on how to
> actually use it in games

   OK. Here's something I've culled from the www.python.org pages (with
some modifications):

<P><a href="http://www.python.org/">Python</a> is an
programming language.
Python combines remarkable power with very clear syntax.  It has
modules, classes, exceptions, very high level dynamic data types, and
dynamic typing.  There are interfaces to many
libraries</a>, as well as to various graphics and windowing systems
(OpenGL, X11, Motif, Tk, Mac, MFC, Gtk, Qt, wxWindows, ...).
New built-in modules are
written</a> in C or C++ while existing libraries are exposed to
Python using <a href="http://www.swig.org/">SWIG</a> or
Seamless integration with Java is achieved through
Python is also usable as an
language</a> for applications that need a programmable interface.</P>

I'll look into that article idea - I know a few people who have written
games and game frameworks; I might be able to get one of them to write
something too.

> >based game to provide user scripting. And Python is not Perl.
>
> Hey - I *love* Perl! ;)

   Sorry, I was just pointing out that in a lot of people's eyes, Python
and Perl are synonymous - excepting Perl's larger user base. I'm comforted
that you know Perl so you won't have that preconception :)

       Richard