Re: 'not an artist' article

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 07:26:37PM -0500, Steve Baker wrote:

> Chris Purnell wrote:

> > Or rather how do you turn your "gene" values into the required surface mesh.

> Yep - that's the $64,000 question.

> I spent some time today thinking about it - and I'm pretty sure it could
> be done.

> The snag is to come up with a set of genes with the right 'powers' over
> the mesh to come up with credible critters - without limiting the resulting
> shapes arbitarily.

I've also spent some time thinking about it.  I think any thing limiting
the results to human and anthropomorphic characters would help the time
it takes to get a useful result and may also help programming it.

I liked your idea about evolving the bones.  I think fixing the number of
bones and their conections is the way to go.  And having the genes control
the length of the bones.  I'm not sure about constraints about the relative
lengths of the upper and lower parts of the limbs.

This is where I get stuck.  Putting the flesh on the bones.

> It's tempting (for example) to think of 'symmetry' genes - but does that
> overly-restrict or pre-judge the nature of the things you build?

I was thinking of enforcing left-right symmetry so we only have to
generate half a character.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | A friend in need's a friend in deed
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | A friend with weed is better