Re: Genetic Algorithms for Character Design (Was: 'not an artist' article)

On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 11:06:59PM -0500, Steve Baker wrote:

> So, what if we did a really basic conversion of that to 3D and used
> the endpoints of the leaf nodes as 3D points - which we'd then connect
> up using some kind of triangulation algorithm to make a mesh.

How would you calculate which leaf nodes are adjacent?
If you use proximity you are in danger of making a surface
the crosses through an extremity.  And the tree structure
created with the biomorphs algorithm tends to double back
on itself.  So you would need to discurage that if you
were to use the structure to determin the adjacent leaf
nodes.

I'd be tempted to try and treat the entire resulting structure
as solid and wrap that in a skin but that could cause more
problems than it solved.

One thing that I've noticed about the various biomorph
implementations that exist is that there is a great
difference between offspring and their parent.

To make it useful you would need much more genetic
information and have it so a small change in the
genetic code would result in a small change in the
resulting model.

--
Christopher John Purnell  | A friend in need's a friend in deed
http://www.lost.org.uk/   | A friend with weed is better