Re: The Artists thing

From: Christian Reiniger <warewolf@mayn.de>
>2) What are our goals with this?

I think what should be emphasized is what the *artists* will get out of it,
since that is the only way they will use it. My $0.02 is that it should be
geared as a general discussion on game content creation, similar to how
OpenGL-GameDev is a general discussion on OpenGL game coding.
Artists should be able to discuss tools and techniques and ask "how-
do-I?" Having developers on the list will be a nice bonus for them, but
to make it really fly, they'll want developers who can actually *do*
something for them: someone from the Gimp team for instance, or
people building level editing tools, etc.

Open-source developers take such resources for granted: high signal-
to-noise mailing lists and focused web sites. Apparently open-source
artists don't have these things, otherwise we wouldn't be having this
discussion.

There are a few people on the web releasing free media: textures, sounds,
and the like (I can't think of any off the top of my head but I know I have
some links on my site). Perhaps they should be invited to join?

Jason
379
http://www.379.com/