Re: The Artists thing

(warning: attempting thread hop)

On 22-Jul-2000 Christian Reiniger wrote:
> Dennis Payne wrote:
>
>>> MP3 is good - small, high quality, sounds everywhere the same,
>>I haven't played around with sound much but my understanding is that
>>converting an MP3 to a format playable by the sound card takes a fair
>>amount of processing power.  Probably not much of a consideration for
>
> Not really. On my machine (Celeron 400) it's about 0.3 - 0.6% CPU-Power
>
> *En*coding MP3s takes helluvalot power, but decoding is cheap

but not everyone has a juicy powerful machine. On my crappy 120, it floats
just under 50% cpu for a cd quality mp3 (using mpg123). My 486dx66 won't play a
cd quality, and sweats hard under the load of a mono mp3 at a low bitrate. I
think mp3's are the solution for transferring sound over the 'net, but it may
require conversion once it's there... all depends on what you want your minimum
specs to be :)

> --
> Christian Reiniger
> Coordinator, LGDC (http://sunsite.auc.dk/lgdc/)
>
> If you can't make it good, make it LOOK good.-Gates.

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.