Re: The Artists thing

On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 07:22:49PM +0000, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:
> If you don't might to have the sound play next week. Esound has SO MUCH
> latency, I can hardly believe it. I'm pushing for non-threaded sound
> engines, so you can imagine what my opinion of sound engines in separate
> threads is? ;-)

 I've completely forgot about that. :)

> Two processes for something as time-sensitive as sound is crazy. On my
> girlfriend's K6-2/350, when playing a MP3 with XMMS through Esound, very
> simple stuff like starting a xterm or moving a Netscape window (with
> Window Maker) makes the audio skip. This doesn't look too good for
> games. And I only have a Pentium MMX 225! ;-)

 Well... This thread thing must be the main reason why there is a
project like Realtime Linux (is it the real name?). I know it's
mostly used for scientific purposes, but I've seen some messages
about game development with that. Or you could just use a sound mixer
that doesn't use threads. What about fork()? Does fork() has much
latency?

--
Pedro Medeiros