Re: Open up the floor (Perl SDL game design)

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, KANE Aaron wrote:

> 	After banging our heads on build problems and using other peoples
> libraries for running the simulation in C++ my small project team went
> out for beers this weekend and suggested a few radical ideas.

> Since the whole concept of the project is a very customizable SimCity/Age-of-Empires style game, the idea of a C++ object
> representing each unit has come under attack.  The new idea is to move the current design to a Perl source base and dump the current
> code.  A perl OO inheritance tree would be used to build the game, and importantly setup the unit inheritance (the wheel gives you a
> cart, a cart gives you a caravan, a caravan gives you a truck...etc).  POD would be used as "in game" documentation.  So if you
> click on a caravan, we would simply print the POD for that package.  There are a lot of interesting ideas that start to come up....

So, you are going from C++ to Perl because of build problems? I am not
sure that would be enough to motivate me to shift.

In fact, I don't think its clear from your post what you are trying to
gain from going to perl?

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
There has never been a good war or a bad peace.