Re: Game announcements on LGDC

ahienola@mist.helsinki.fi wrote:

> > With light template use, Quadra weights in as a pretty
> > average C++ program, and it takes a huge amount of time to compile with
> > VC++ compared to egcs. Note that straight old C code compiles a lot
> > faster than C++ on VC++, but we didn't compare C code compilation
> > between VC++ and egcs.
> This comparisson was supposed to be between gcc and egcs, I think. VC++
> and the other one (Watcom?) were there just for reference. To be honest, I
> didn't see any really BIG differences between the compiled code
> performance when the 'optimal' (whatever that means here) optimization
> flags were used.

Chris Hecker performed this test once, summer 96 in fact.  So that's
tree years ago, lotsof things can have changed, but at the time VC++
actually was one of the better performing compilers, and gcc one of
the worst.  The tests run were very simple but yet revealed some
interesting things; aside from a bare metal execution-time measurement
Hecker dug into the code generated to find out what optimisations
were done by the compiler. The result was quite surprisingly that some
compilers, even in full-O mode, omitted the obvious sometimes.
(http://www.d6.com/users/checker/misctech.htm, "Compilers", pdf)

Bert
--

-=<Short Controlled Bursts>=-