Re: Threads

> often inefficient when used for this purpose. However one working thread
> per processor on an SMP system can certainly be more efficient than a
> single thread or process labouring away on only one cpu. This leads to a

Following on to my last post, anyone know of any nasty low-level hacks to
ensure a particular thread stays on a particular cpu and doesn't hop
around, trashing cache all over the place?

Although making games SMP friendly seems somewhat pointless when so few
people have SMP systems, one of the primary reasons they don't sell in the
consumer market is that so few games take advantage of them :) I'm sure
when the next round of shooters jump on the Quake3 bandwagon and promise
massive speed gains via SMP, dual motherboards will be selling like
hotcakes... or like voodoo2s, for a more appropriate simile.

So, what neat SMP hacks or methodologies do people have? Don't be shy...
or, if no one has done too much with this kind of thing, what funky hacks
can we dream up? :)

Michael