Re: Linux sound

Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

> > Yes, of course, it depends on the game. If you are writing a Minesweeper
> > kind of game, just lay back, relax and forget about it... :-)
>
> Actually it is a 2 player minesweep kind of game. (I am porting it though
> - and adding sound in the proces :-)

Hehe! I never though a second I could guess correctly! :-)

> > And we plan to use our library for future games which should push the
> > envelope a lot more than that!
>
> Good design is essential then.

Yes, and we are redoing parts of it, because the first design didn't
live up to our expectations. It sufficed for Quadra, but the next title
is going to be much more complex, based on OpenGL also.

> > BTW, did you try Quadra on this SBlive? We'd be interested in knowing
> > how the sound is on that card (if it is acting a bit weird)...
>
> I havent tried, because the SBLive is actually not in my machine, but in
> the machine owned by the person that asked me to port the game. He lives
> in another part of the country and has no programming experience (he did
> the graphics for the game) and limited linux experience.

Ok, I see. Well, if you ever get the chance, tell him to try out Quadra
and tell us about how it sounds on his SBlive! :-)

> > Well, when you write to a file descriptor that has enough buffers to do
> > your write and that it has the O_NODELAY flag, it returns very quickly.
> > If there is no free buffers, it acts normally. But I think this could be
> > the behavior of /dev/dsp when no O_NODELAY flag is applied. :-)
>
> > From my reading, I would guess that /dev/dsp acts like O_NODELAY in normal
> > operation.

Yes, I think so... But we left the flag in there, so we're *sure* it's
the case. :-)

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/