Re: Linux sound (and threads)

Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

>> > The thing is preemptive schedulers have the knack of interrupting a
>> > thread right in an heavily optimized long operation counting on things
>> > like processor cache and pipelining. You don't want to interrupt things

>But as for being interrupted by fetchmail, those are minimal. A system
>with a single user doing a single thing (like me when I play Quadra or

I once had three povray processes ,a compile run of some bigger package,
and a mp3 player for background music running all simultaneously while I
was surfing with Netscape on KDE. Possibly anacron also started the weekly
backup in the middle of this, I don't remember exactly.
Well, the point is: Netscape was a bit slower as usual, but still perfectly
usable. So don't worry much about being interrupted by fetchmail ;)
(of course I wouldn't want to play Quake in such a situation, but what do
you expect?)

	Christian