Re: Linux sound (and threads)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Brad Johnson wrote:

> > You must have some screamin' silicon then, pal. :) I could never do a
> > stunt like that on my meager little 200MHz Cyrix machine. In particular,
> > MP3 players tend to chop up as soon as I start Netscape.
>
> 	Am I the only one who's mp3 playing skips constantly, even when the
> computer is otherwise unencumbered? I don't exactly have a puny system
> either... it's a K6-2 400 MHz with 64 megs of ram and an SB16. Even when
> mpg123 or X11Amp (+X Windows +wm) is the only thing running, I still get skips
> at regular intervals. I've tried upping the buffer to no avail. Anyone have
> any ideas?
> 								--Brad

This depends on the mpg123 buffer size. Set up a large buffer and no skips
should occur anymore. Winamp for instance takes not much less CPU power than
mpg123 but because of a good buffer size setup, it doesn't skip even when
playing games (with a hw mixing soundcard, I even get the game sounds).

Big output buffers. It's ok for a music playing program, it's not ok for a
game of course.

Tomas Andrle / red_hatred