Choosing a Linux development platform

It's good to see this list showing such strong signs of life. For a while
there it was pretty dead.

I'm getting more interested in starting my Linux development earlier rather
than later, and have a few questions.

1) How similar are the various Linux's (Linuxii?) right now? I plan to
support Intel Linux under Red Hat as well as LinuxPPC. If I do development
under LinuxPPC, how portable will my efforts be to Red Hat Intel (machine
architecture differences aside)?

2) The last time I looked at Linux (about a year ago), there was a
Win95-like window manager that worked reasonably well. Is there a
Finder-like window manager available for Linux?

3) Are there GUI IDEs available for Linux (other than Codewarrior, which I
am aware of)? Commercial, shareware and freeware leads are all welcome.

4) What is the current state of gcc with respect to: a) C++ language
support, b) optimization proficiency, and c) stability? Note that fast
compiles are NOT of interest to me as much as correct compiles and compiled
binaries that run fast.

5) Though as a developer who takes pride in his work I find a certain
attractiveness to producing software under GPL/LGPL, I don't see how I can
make any money at it, and money is *a* motivation for me (obviously not the
only motivation, nor even the strongest motivation). Is there a way to
reconcile the shareware model with producing GPL software?

I think I've asked enough questions for now. I look forward to reading
everyone's answers.
--
Rick Genter
ICQ UIN# 8291497