Re: Choosing a Linux development platform

Hi,

> > 5) Though as a developer who takes pride in his work I find a certain
> > attractiveness to producing software under GPL/LGPL, I don't see how I can
> > make any money at it, and money is *a* motivation for me (obviously not the
> > only motivation, nor even the strongest motivation). Is there a way to
> > reconcile the shareware model with producing GPL software?
> With the GNU GPL, no. You can sell copies of your software, but the
> person who buy it can give it to anybody. There are others GPL, you can
> read them, or write your own GPL...

OTOH, It should be possible to sell the data files (sound, music) required for
running a game, while keeping the program itself free.
E.g. you might release a "completely free" package which includes the sources
and, say, the first three levels of the game, while selling the level data,
graphics, sounds, music etc. for everything beyond level 3 seperately.

llap,
 Christoph