Re: Choosing a Linux development platform

Rick Genter wrote:

> > OTOH, It should be possible to sell the data files (sound, music) required
> > for running a game, while keeping the program itself free.
> > E.g. you might release a "completely free" package which includes the
> > sources and, say, the first three levels of the game, while selling the
> > level data, graphics, sounds, music etc. for everything beyond level 3
> > seperately.
>
> Excellent point. And since, supposedly, the value of a game is its content,
> not its engine, this reasoning nicely integrates the shareware model and the
> GPL model.
>
> I need to talk it over with my partner, but I think you've just convinced me
> to make AT '41 GPL :-).

This idea of selling the data files and having the program itself GPLed
is a good idea IMHO!

But just for safety regarding future plans, I would recommend an XFree86
style license or even better, using the MozPL license (full explanation
at http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/), which would be a nice middle between
GPL/LGPL and XFree86-style (it requires modification to files under the
MozPL to be released also under the MozPL, similarly to the GPL/LGPL,
but it doesn't require that files you add to the source (like extensions
or your program itself in the case of a library) go under a specific
license).

--
Pierre Phaneuf
Ludus Design, http://ludusdesign.com/