RE: Library advice needed

On 11-Jun-2000 Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> My name is Pieter Hulshoff, I live in the Netherlands, and I just rejoined
> the programming world of Linux. :) I've been out of it for a while, so I'm
> totally out of date with regards to libraries. I'm currently doing some
> preparations for development of a platform game under Linux (Castlevania
> style for those of you who know that game), and am in search of (a)
> library(ies) that will allow me to do:
> 1. copy, transparent copy, sprites, possibly screen rotations
> 2. play midi files and do sound effects
> 3. easy porting to windows (flame away; I feel that if I dislike M$ for
> writing single OS software, I should at least port mine.:)
>
> , and which is/are written in C
>
> Any ideas/advice you can give me?
>
> Regards,
>
> Pieter Hulshoff

I've been fond of SDL lately... www.libsdl.org

1. it has surfaces which can be treated like sprites of days yore.
2. There are addon packages for audio stuff, I bet at least one of them does
   midi
3. it has a windows port, and there's even a crosscompiler at
   http://www.libsdl.org/Xmingw32 that I've been playing with (making win32
   .exe's of some sdl/opengl programs for people of lesser os's) Also does
   or will do macos, fbsd, solaris, ... :)

and it's in C. :)

I haven't messed with sound much, so I cannot comment too much on that part,
but there are several sound addons (sdl_mixer, midas) that wrap the sdl sound
interface.

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.