Re: Gaming projects

Gregor Mückl wrote:
There is a LOT of stuff out there - and at least 99% of it is crap.
Unfortunately. Most of the time it's not the programming which kills the projects, though. We're still missing artists.
Yep.  That's for sure.

I've started to go through great efforts to get artists for my current project. Although I'm developing exclusively on Linux, I also provide Windows versions of the engine so that at least artists and musicians can keep their familiar working environment. And the best surprise of all is that it works although I never tested this thing in native Windows.
I think that's an important message - it's really no harder to make things
work under both Linux AND Windows if you plan it that way from the get-go.

It's interesting that you think that helps you to get artists on board though...
it makes sense though.

I also have to give up on the idelogical part of "free gaming" if I want to succeed. The artists ususally love to see money for their work - at least those with reasonable talent. Having nothing to offer for them, it's quite difficult to build up a good team.

The more experience I gain, the more I recognize the need to do game projects on a commercial basis. It sounds bad. And it is even more disappointing.
That may be further than I'd want to go.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
           http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net