Cluttered System (was: Tux Racer 0.10 Released)

Steve Baker wrote:

>I think you may be overestimating the time it takes to install a clean new
>copy of Linux.  Back when you last did it, it *WAS* a serious pain.  But
>on a modern distro, you can get up and going in 20 minutes.

It's not always that easy. I'm facing a similar problem. My system is a
two year old SuSE 5.1, updated manually via source packages, with
hand-crafted config (and startup) files, some handmade scripts somewhere
around the system and the software about evenly divided between /usr and
/usr/local. Oh, and manually upgraded from libc5 to glibc2 (i.e. most
programs and libs are still linked against libc5).
Most things still work fine, but maintaining this thing is consuming more
and more time.

The problem is that this system also runs on my home server, which does
web, mail, smb, NFS, print & database serving, as well as acting as
internet gateway & web cache (wwwoffle) / filter (junkbuster)

Setting this up with a normal distro isn't easy, and beforehand quite some
more work has to be done - looking what config files can/should be copied
over to the new system, what should be done from scratch using linuxconf
etc, what data & custom scripts need to be copied, what nonstandard
packages are needed etc.

I *will* upgrade once potato is out, but I'm *not* looking forward to it...

(just to support Keith a bit ;)

	Christian
--
Christian Reiniger