Re: autoconf help?

Pierre Phaneuf wrote:

>"J. Perkins" wrote:
>
>> >Well, when I have problems with auto(conf|make), I usually look at how the
>> >GGI people did it. Their build system is perhaps the most sophisticated
>> >I've seen yet.

>Do they use recursive Makefiles? With Quadra, a not-so-big project,

You mean having many makefiles in many subdirectories, called recursively
(instead of having everything in one toplevel makefile)?
Yes. LibGGI consists of tons of little sublibs, each in its own
sub(sub-)directory.
Managing all this via a single makefile would be a nightmare.

>using non-recursive Makefiles cut the compile time in half easily. On an
>even bigger project (particularly if you have many subdirectories), the
>payoff should be even worthier (it make 5 minutes into a bit over 2
>minutes for me, if it turns 60 minutes into 25-30 minutes, pretty
>interesting pay off).

Interesting indeed. But I wonder why this is the case - make itself doesn't
do that much compared to the compiler...

	Christian
--
Christian Reiniger
Coordinator/Coder, PenguinPlay (http://sunsite.auc.dk/penguinplay/)