Re: Xlib or die (?)

> Hi,
>
> I've been discussing with programmers who think that mastering Xlib is a
> prerequisite for any game programming in Linux. Does anybody here
> share/oppose this view?

XLib gives you some good insight to how the windowing system does it's
thing which can allow a programmer to target the system more effectively,
but I wouldn't say it's a prereq :) Several layers are available to abstract
the nasty X internals and provide a simple easy and usually portable
infterface. Some people like glut, some clanlib, some like plib, I personally
prefer SDL (http://libsdl.org). I'm glad I took the time to learn xlib a few years
back, but I don't apply any of it directly when I do multimedia/game type
programming.

> TIA
> Bernie
> --
> Regards,
> Bernie 'Bugs Bernie' Noel
>
> "A hundred thousand lemmings can't be wrong!"

        -Erik <erik@smluc.org> [http://math.smsu.edu/~br0ke]

The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily opinions. In all
probability, they are random rambling, and to be ignored. Failure to ignore
may result in severe boredom or confusion. Shake well before opening. Keep
Refrigerated.