Re: a book or tutorial

Jan Ekholm wrote:

> Yes, this is MHO too. If you do games/graphics/sound today you'll not do
> it all from scratch. Why should I try to do the lowlevel pixelwanking when
> there are packages out there that do it faster, easier, more portably that
> I could imagine to do within a reasonable timeframe, and they do it now?
>
> Do anyone code his/her own PNG-loaders? I also assume nobody does lowlevel
> sound stuff either? And why would anyone try to reinvent the OpenGL system
> with an own version?
>
> I'm all for *knowing* something about what goes on behind the scenes in a
> graphics/sound subsystem, and it is good to know some line-drawing
> algorithms, but it's not necessary to implement them. It's very important
> to learn something about basic transformations in 3D and sound mixing
> theory, but it's plain silly to reinvent the wheel and do them manually.

	I had a talk today with a professor from the computer science division
of my university and he told me that sometimes we may know a lot about
some more advanced subjects, but at the same time loose some really
practical knowledge about the really basic stuff. And that this
knowledge proves very useful when we really get down and dirty with
algorithms and techniques.
	So, based in part on that piece of knowledge, my own opinion is
somewhat like Jan's: you don't actually have to implement all things,
but a good *basic* base is fundamental, there's no question to that.

> Oh yeah, Quake I was too slow and too dark, so I never enjoyed it, and it
> didn't run too well on my P90.

	Hehe, I never liked Quake. But Half Life kicks ass, even though it came
out later on...

Miguel Osorio.