Re: a book or tutorial

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Steve Baker wrote:

> Mads Bondo Dydensborg wrote:

> > Various people, like you. Do you include a lot of assembler in, say,
> > plib?
>
> Nope - not a single line.
>
> But my point is that if you think assembler does belong in "libs" - then
> it belongs everywhere...what's so special about a library?

Well, I would consider it special, because it might be "worhtwhile". For
instance, IIRC, Hermes uses assembler to do image manipulation stuff very
quickly. This I consider a good feature. Lots of people can benefit from
this - it has a good return on investement. It also (IIRC) supports many
different CPU's (I may be wrong here).

Maybe I should just have written that I would encourage use of libraries
that make good use of the underlying platform, especially any special
hardware that may or may not be present.

Maybe I just react so strongly to this, because there are few (compared to
windows) games for Linux that are "done". I "shudder" (Sorry, english is
not my native language, and I am tired) when I think anybody would start
using a lot of time on assembler. I simply do not think it is worthwhile -
apart from a very few special situations - like libs. Use the time on "the
game" of the game instead.

Mads

--
Mads Bondo Dydensborg.                               madsdyd@challenge.dk
Faced with the prospect of rereading this book, I would rather have my brains